Among the many reasons why turmeric is good for health, a few are that it reduces inflammation, helps in losing weight, prevents many types of cancers and balances the metabolic functions. Having antibacterial, anti-flammatory and analgesic properties, turmeric tea, paste and milk make your skin healthy. One of the major advantages of turmeric is that it prevents acne by controlling the bacteria that causes it. It has healing properties and prevents the bacteria in the environment from damaging your skin.
Turmeric gets its yellow color from the compound ‘Circumin’. Being an antioxidant, it helps to remove age spots caused by skin exposure and reduces fine lines. Turmeric is also beneficial for healing dry skin as it contains vitamin C, vitamin B6, potassium and magnesium that help the skin to retain moisture and form new skin cells.
You can choose to drink a cup of turmeric tea daily or apply the turmeric mask weekly.
(credits Turmeric for beautiful face )
Turmeric Basic Paste:
If you apply turmeric paste continuously for atleast 6 months, you will see a visible improvement in your skin and experience reduced acne.
Organic turmeric powder: 1/4 cup
Pure filtered water: 1/2 cup
Sanitized glass jar covered with a lid
Mix turmeric powder with water in a saucepan and keep it for 6 to 8 minutes on a medium flame. A thick paste will be formed. To prevent any lumps, keep stirring. Add water if the mixture looks dry. Take it off the stove and let it cool. Then, store it in a sanitized glass jar and keep it in the fridge.
Turmeric Mask for face:
Since turmeric paste is known for staining the skin or nails, the following can be used for face.
Basic turmeric paste:1/4 teaspoon
Milk or coconut milk: 1 teaspoon
Raw honey: 1 teaspoon
A glass dish for mixing the mask and rubber gloves to prevent staining
Splash warm water on your face to open the pores. Then, dry it with a towel. Take a small amount of the mask and apply a thin film on your face or the affected area. Make small upward circling movements with your fingers from the chin to the cheeks and finally the forehead. Do not apply the mask near the eyes. Wait for 10 minutes until the paste has dried and then remove it with a warm washcloth. Wash it with cool water afterwards.
A little tip: Apply the paste on a small area first to see if it stains. Use the stain-removing remedy after you have taken the mask off. You can prepare this remedy by mixing a tablespoon of granulated sugar with warm water. Exfoliate the skin with this mixture and use circling motions until the stain vanishes.
The following ingredients can be added to the mask, but add only 1/4 teaspoon of it. Make sure the mask is not too runny. You can keep changing the ingredient as you like.
- Avocado: Has anti-flammatory and hydrating properties because of compounds like Vitamin E and healthy fatty acids.
- Yoghurt: Prevents acne and nourishes skin as it consists of Vitamin B, zinc and calcium.
- Lemon juice: Improves oily skin and tightens pores.
- Raw honey: Keeps the skin hydrated and fights free radical damage with anti-bacterial properties. It also lightens the skin and removes any spots.
- Coconut oil: Consists of vitamin C, vitamin E, medium fatty chains and has antiviral, antibacterial and antimicrobial properties.
- Nutmeg: Used as a mild exfoliator.
- Egg white: Helps to repair the tissue, delays skin ageing, removes free radicals on the skin and hydrates it.
- Egg yolk: Works best on dry skin as it hydrates the skin well.
- You can add turmeric paste to smoothies, salad dressings, soup bases and cottage cheese.
- You can also make turmeric tea or milk by adding 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric paste to warm milk at a low flame or add it to boiling water and stir until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Since all the ingredients in your facial mask are edible, you can incorporate the leftover mask to your food as well.