Bet you’re looking at these thinking their regular potatoes but they’re not. They are actually a sweet potato just like their siblings with the golden skin and orange innards. Only difference is they are not as sweet as their counterparts. Oh yes they are still sweet just not as much. And actually these sweet potatoes is what I prefer my Sweet Potato Pie to made of. I love sweet potatoes! If it were up to me, we’d eat these every way possible, but I’m pretty sure the kids would tire out on them after a while.
The best part of making these when you haven’t told the kids which potato you’re using, is watching their faces on that first bite. Oh I was dying at the dinner table as they all scrunched up their noses. Having sweet potatoes in any form other than the normal loaded with sugar and marshmallow way, does take a little adjustment.
I was able to make this dish completely organic so it was another score in that department. Even if the chicken wasn’t little steps are still better than none. After the first shock of everyone’s taste buds adjusting, they demolished the pot and all that was left of the oven bbq’d chicken. Needless to say it was a healthier alternative to regular mashed potatoes.
- 2 lbs (4 medium) sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- 1 tbsp organic butter
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup organic almond milk or 1% milk
- 2 tbsp organic sour cream
- salt and fresh cracked ground pepper, to taste
- Completely optional depending on your taste. Either wash the skins really good and chop or skin, rinse and then chop. Place in a pot of boiling water. Boil till tender and drain.
- Place butter in pot, melt butter and sauté garlic until lightly golden. Return sweet potatoes back to pot, add the milk and sour cream; mash until smooth and creamy. Use salt and pepper to taste.