They complained throughout the WHOLE time I was preparing dinner. Complaining about having to eat “organic”. How the taste was going to be horrible. At one point I think one of the kids was going to cry when the other pointed out the sour cream was all natural. Really? I didn’t know we needed to cry over condiments. The whole time it was in the oven their songs started to change. The house smelled DIVINE! When the timer rang, they were all at the table drooling. If you were watching my family eat this dish you would have thought that they never ever had chicken enchiladas before. LIARS. Needless to say this version was a huge hit. I can’t wait to make it again.
- 12 whole-grain corn tortillas
- 1 “all natural” rotisserie chicken (I couldn’t find one of these to save my life without driving everywhere so I just picked up a pack of all natural chicken and precooked it)
- 1 cup of cooked brown rice
- 1 cup of organic black beans
- 1 cup of frozen corn kernels
- 3 tablespoons organic tomato paste
- Chili powder
- Ground cumin
- 3 cups organic canned tomato sauce (with no salt added if you can find it)
- 1 – 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper (depending on if you like a little spice)
- Ground cinnamon
- Monterey Jack cheese
- Optional: sour cream, cilantro, avocado or guacamole
1. Pre-heat oven to 350
Shred cooked chicken; I used my Kitchen Aid Mixer. Mix in 3 tablespoons tomato paste, ½ cup grated cheese, rice, frozen corn kernels (no need to defrost them), black beans, 1 teaspoon chili powder, and 1 teaspoon ground cumin.
3. For the sauce combine 3 cups tomato sauce, pepper, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, 1 ½ teaspoons chili powder and heat through, keeping warm until needed.
4. These aren’t wrapped like regular enchiladas, it’s a casserole dish which means EASY PEASY!
Using two separate square or round baking dishes start to distribute the ingredients in the following order: 1. Sauce (spread a little out on bottom of baking dishes), 2. Tortilla layer (I used 2 for each tortilla layer), 3. About a quarter of chicken mixture (for each dish), 4. More sauce, 5. Another tortilla layer, 6. The rest of chicken mixture, 7. Another tortilla layer, 8. The last of the sauce, 9. Grated cheese on top.
5. The one that’s going in freezer, wrap it up and put stick it in the freezer.
6. Put the casserole in the oven for about 35 minutes or so till cooked all the way through and cheese is melted.
Now serve it up and add a generous amount of lettuce, sour cream, salsa, tomatoes, etc as along as it’s ALL NATURAL!